Monday, May 10, 2010

Memories of Young Men in the Great Class of 1960



The weekend of June 4-6, 2010 is fast approaching.  It's the weekend that I get to share with 50 or so fresh-faced, smart, grateful, and still eager 68 year-olds the golden anniversary of the culmination of one of the most important opportunities of our lives.  It's the reunion weekend of Fairfield Prep's Great Class of 1960.  It's the weekend when doctors, lawyers, judges, writers, scientists, monsignori, brokers, educators, and we regular folk get together to honor each other for the part we played, and still play, in each others' lives.

For this event, I've been charged with the task of putting together a book of recollections.  So I've solicited each member of the class to send me some unforgettable feelings, happenings, or events that pop to mind when he thinks of his 4 years at Prep.  Some thing that may have bored the daylights out of family members when Dad got in a story-telling mood over the years.  Some thing that only we, as co-conspirators, would fully appreciate.

I've gotten some wonderful responses.  How nice to be reminded of things I have totally forgotten.  How could I not remember the tale of the firecracker and the beehive?  Hearing about it again puts me right back there on that warm spring day when McAuliffe Hall was closed down for an afternoon due to invasions of nasty yellow jackets.  

Interspersed with the classmates' memories, I'm inserting scans of memorabilia like this calendar that made it through 50 years of cross-country moves stashed in a carton with report cards, reading lists, class notes, programs, and some text books.

I expect I'll write more about all this during the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment