Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Vineyard in the 50's (i.e. Martha's)


Having gotten a new scanner last week, I've been busy digitizing old photographs and sending them to the subjects in them.

One group I've been working on is a set of black and white and a set of early Kodacolor snapshots taken in and around Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard.

We shared a house up there in the summers of the 1950's with a family of close friends. It was a great old cottage in the campground surrounding the Methodist Tabernacle. (We'd sneak off to the Catholic Church on Sundays!).

Each set of parents had a bedroom, my brother and I shared a bedroom, and my sister shared a room with the 2 girls in the other family.

Lots of swimming in Nantucket Sound or Tashmoo beaches, mucky clamdigging, fishing off the docks of Edgartown or Menemsha, salt water taffy from Heberts, conch shells, rainy day games and Flying Horses, and lobsters and clams after the waves of South Beach. Looking back, life was uncomplicated and every day was another adventure. Some of my most vivid childhood memories are from those summer weeks on the Vineyard. Haven't been there since 1965 when I spent a week on the Shenandoah during its first summer in the water. Can't wait to scan those photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment